First Impressions of 'Heaven Upside Down'

Good morning, Kindergothlings!  It's about 7:15...I've been up since 2:30 this morning...Working third shift sucks because even on your days off, you feel like you miss everything.  Anyway, got some cool stuff for you today..jumping back into some music. 



It's been a couple years since Manson's last album, and even longer since I've been a faithful listener.  I really thought he might have lost his touch when he started acting.  I watched him in the last season of Sons of Anarchy, and I know that he had some sort of role in the series "Salem," which he did the score for.



"Heaven Upside Down"  definitely proved me wrong.  After 2 singles came out in September, the album had a full release on October 6th, 2017.

So, yeah, I'm nearly a month late with this (big whoop, wanna fighta bout it?)  I hadn't thought about it in weeks, but when it popped into my head, I finally HAD to pull it up and listen to it. 


I've given the whole album a once-over, I do have a few definite favorites that I've gone back to, but here are by first impressions.  If you've listened to any of the songs, drop me a comment over on my Instagram @Miz_motionless and let me know!  Also, I'll try to go in album track order with the listings, but some may be a bit off:



                              Revelation #12:  Paranoid psychotic distortion intro...into a Dragula style chord progression....Hyped!  So far, I love the lyrics.."We'll paint the town red with the blood of children."  Classic Manson.

     
                         WE KNOW WHERE YOU FUCKING LIVE: Bit of interesting screamo and lyrics...If I'm not mistaken, this was the super controversial MV where he decapitated our would-be president.
   
                           SAY10: Definite American Horror Story vibes.  MV features Johnny Depp.  Definitely NSFW, overly sexual....Overall, it's just "okay."  The chorus, is just "SAY10/Satan"  over and over again.  Just another Brittany Spears ("If you Seek Amy") situation.
          
                      KILL4ME:  Slow intro, decent vibe,  Interesting lyrics for a bit.  I feel like this one may be inspired by Charles Manson.  It's a little to dark to be Joker and Harley.  I'd love to find an interview of him talking about the story behind this milestone 10th album.  I dislike that it mentions cutting your wrists.  I get that its Manson, but suicide pop culture makes me so uncomfortable. 

                    Saturnalia: This was the first song that I heard off this album, I really liked it.  Intro was similar to Godsmack's "Voodoo."  One of the few non-explicit tracks.  Sounds like "This is the new shit" era Manson.  In fact, the majority of the album has that good old fucked up classic Manson feel...like cryptorchid with that welcome bit of distortion..
          
               JE$U$ CRI$I$:  First impression...I laughed out loud..I won't give it away, but just wait for the first line.  I absolutely love the lrics.  VERY catchy.  After hearing it for the first time on my lunch break, it was stuck in my head for the rest of my work night.  Sex. Drugs.  Violence.  The Manson I adore!

          Blood Honey:  Slow to start. similar to "If I was your Vampire."  I thought this one would get stuck in my head, but JE$U$ CRI$I$ won over.
       
               Heaven Upside Down:  Easy listening, sorta atypical, but I like it..I kind of expected to as its the title track.  It was actually one of the 3 songs that were recorded after the album was nearly wrapped and they changed the album name from "SAY10" to "Heaven Upside Down."
        
                Threats of Romance:  Starts off hard, the bass in my "Echo (My Kia Soul)"  made this track even better.  Great way to end the album, soft lyrics head in at the 1 minute mark, and it gets a little hard to hear them.  But, great sound over all. 

Thanks for sticking around guys, if you made it to the end, drop me a comment over on my Insta and let me know if you've heard any of them already!  Today, I am in the kitchen baking a Sakura cake for Midna's birthday tomorrow.  Pics are going to be posted to @CardinalCakery in Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog